The Application Process
High school seniors and college freshmen with less than 30 college semester hours who are not already students in the College Program may be eligible for the NROTC 4 year scholarship. The NROTC Scholarship application process is independent of the Notre Dame undergraduate admissions process, and you must be awarded both an NROTC scholarship (assigned to Notre Dame) AND be accepted by the University of Notre Dame’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions to join our battalion of midshipmen. The same applies with respect to our crosstown affiliate institutions Saint Mary’s College and Holy Cross College.To apply for the NROTC 4 Year Scholarship, please visit: NROTC Online Scholarship Application
- Prospective students should begin the scholarship application process during their junior year of high school. Students who complete the application early can be notified of their acceptance as early as September of their senior year.
For more information on Notre Dame’s admissions process, please visit: Notre Dame Office of Undergraduate Admissions
- Prospective students with strong application packages should consider applying for Early Action to the University of Notre Dame. The deadline for Early Action submissions is November 1. Early Action submissions are usually notified of their admission status within the first two weeks of December.
The Navy is preparing our officer corps to meet the unique and ever-changing challenges of the future. In structuring our academic programs to meet these challenges, undergraduate academic majors for NROTC Navy option midshipmen are divided into three categories, or tiers:
- Tier 1 – Engineering programs of Navy interest
- Tier 2 – Other engineering, math and science programs
- Tier 3 – Foreign language and remaining academic programs
In order to keep pace in this high tech and diverse environment, approximately 85% of Navy Option NROTC scholarships offers will be awarded to students interested in completing a Tier 1 or Tier 2 academic major. Students interested in pursuing Tier 3 academic majors (all other academic majors not listed in Tier 1 or Tier 2) are encouraged to examine the opportunities available in the Navy’s Language Skills, Regional Expertise, and Cultural Awareness (LREC) Program. For more information on the tier system and LREC program, please click here.
For more information about the Navy Nursing Option scholarship, please click here.
Click below to see majors and their associated tiers at the University of Notre Dame and our cross-town affiliates St. Mary’s College and Holy Cross College:
- University of Notre Dame Tiers
- St. Mary’s College Tiers
- Holy Cross College Tiers
Because the details of the NROTC scholarship application process change frequently, we recommend visiting the official Naval ROTC Website for detailed and up to date information. If you have any questions, you can contact the NROTC Notre Dame staff by phone at (877) 636-7682 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with Navy questions and Marine Corps questions.